Starhawks Player Code of Conduct
Acknowledgement and agreement via registration required for Participation in
Starhawks Youth Hockey for the 2015/16 season.
Player Code of Conduct
As a player involved in the Starhawks Youth Hockey Program I agree to honor the game and abide by and follow the rules and guidelines below:
I agree to honor the game at all times and to be a good sport. Honoring the Game goes to the ROOTS of the matter — R-O-O-T-S.
R is for Rules -The rules of hockey are what allow us to keep the game fair. Respect for the rules is important, even when it’s possible to break them without getting caught. I agree to play by the rules, even if when I won’t get caught. Breaking the rules dishonors the game, even if it means that we win.
O is for Opponents - Without opponents, we could have no game. A good opponent makes us do our best. Sometimes your opponents are friends of ours. I will respect our opponents, and remember they are out there to have fun just like I am. I will try my hardest to win, not because I hate my opponent, but because I want to play my best. I promise that I will show respect for opposing coaches and teams.
O is for Officials - It is very important to respect officials and can be the most difficult part of Honoring the Game. Officials have been selected and trained to enforce rules, and they have a very hard job. Without the officials the game would be unsafe and unfair. Officials are not perfect (just like coaches, athletes and parents!) and sometimes make mistakes. However, there is no excuse for treating officials with disrespect when they make errors. You have to show respect for officials, even when you disagree with the call.
T is for Teammates - A big part of hockey is the team. Being with my teammates should be fun. Later in life you will often be part of a team, and it is important to learn to work together. Be a team player-get along with your teammates. Encourage and support each other on and off the playing ice. Learn and Practice teamwork, sportsmanship and discipline.
S is for Self - I will Honor the Game no matter what the other team or its fans do and will Honors the Game even when others aren’t because we set our own internal standards. And we live up to them no matter what. We have so much respect for ourselves that we would never do anything to dishonor the game.
Additionally, I agree to the following items:
- I will never curse or use foul or abusive language on the bench, in the rink, or at any team function.
- I will support and respect my teammates at all times. I will not tease, ridicule, put down, bully or make fun of any players on my team or the opposing team at any time
- I will respect my coaches at all times and listen carefully to their instructions and not do anything considered distracting, disruptive or undermining to their efforts
- I will not lash out at any official no matter what the call is. The coaching staff will handle all matters pertaining to officiating.
- Anyone who receives a penalty will skate directly to the penalty box without comment or displaying any gestures or acts deemed to be unsportsmanlike.
- Fighting will not be tolerated. Fighting will result in an appearance before USA Hockey Discipline Committee.
- There will be no drinking, smoking, chewing tobacco or use of illegal substance at any team function.
- I will conduct myself in a befitting manner at all facilities (ice rink, hotel, restaurant, etc.) during all team functions. I agree to follow all rink rules.
- Any player or team official who cannot abide by these rules or violates them will be subject to further disciplinary action.